This week’s Top Ten Tuesday theme from The Broke and the Bookish is “Ten Bookish Things I Want to Quit Or Have Quit” and I went for one of their suggested topics- ten tropes I want to stop reading about.
- Slightly geeky, possibly on the autistic spectrum, teenage boys- like in Black Swan Green, Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close etc etc (But not Submarine by Joe Dunthorne as that is awesome)
- Living a life over and over, consciously or unconsciously or whatever- Life After Life, The First Fifteen Lives of Harry August et al I’m looking at you
- The Tudors- unless you’re Hilary Mantel, in which case, carry on!
- Crime thrillers in which women are murdered and tortured in increasingly horrible ways
- Crime thrillers which feature a flawed but irresistible to women detective, with a tragic backstory
- Any YA particularly romances between over-achieving, intelligent teens. And ones with illnesses. The Fault in Our Stars- guilty as charged.
- Plots involving baby-loss or death of a child, its just too close to the bone for me and seems to pop up more than I would like.
- Vampires. Yes I guiltily enjoyed the Sookie Stackhouse series, although it got increasingly stupid and badly written as they went on. But I’m done now. You hear me?
- Time travel in order to try and change history- Life After Life again, 11/22/63 its been done too many times
- Struggling to think of a tenth….